Balsamic Watermelon Stacks!

A few years ago, my boyfriend took me to dinner at The Aerie, which is up the canyon at Snowbird Resort. He used to work there so he knew which menu items I’d go crazy over. We spent the night eating a variety of delicious bites that ranged from ceviche to pâté (which were phenomenal) but one dish that really left an impact on me was their watermelon balsamic goat cheese mini stack.

So naturally, when I got home, I decided to try to make my own version. After a couple times, I tweaked The Aerie’s version a little bit by adding basil, caramelized onion with garlic, arugula, and a splash of lemon. The results turned out fabulously! I mean, who doesn’t love juicy, fresh watermelon?



It might sound strange to mix those flavors, but the medley of sweet watermelon, savory cheese, tart vinegar and spicy greens really gives my taste buds the kick they crave! I personally think it is important to expose yourself to new and unexpected ideas, thoughts, and of course, flavors! Trust me, you won’t be disappointed. (I even made this for my dad who is adamant that he hates vinegar, yet he still gobbled it up. Maybe he was just being nice since I’m his only daughter, but one can hope…) It doesn’t hurt that it’s pretty to look at, either.


Prep time: 45 min
Serves: 2

Ingredients:
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
½ large watermelon
8 large basil leaves
Goat cheese (or feta if you prefer)
Arugula (or any greens you like)
Lemon wedges

·      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil.  (Do not measure this; it’s pointless!!! Just eyeball it.)
·      Throw your onions and garlic into the pan. Season generously with salt and pepper. Let them soften and brown, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
·      Once they start to slump up, add the balsamic vinegar. (Again, no need to measure. Seriously.) Stir and let reduce for another 10 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool while you prep the other ingredients.
·      Cut your watermelon into 8 flat triangular shaped sections. (Or whatever shape you’d like!)
·      For each stack, layer four times in this order: watermelon slice, basil leaf, cheese crumbles, cooled balsamic onions, and greens.
·      Top with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and serve immediately.


Since these stacks are meatless and on the light side, I usually serve this with something else. In this photo, I served it with a very simple tilapia filet quick seared with garlic and dill. Let me know what you think would be the most delicious combo for this dish!



I hope you enjoy! The Aerie’s watermelon stack is seasonal so it may not currently be on their menu, but either way you should definitely check them out here. And while you’re at it, follow me on FacebookPinterest, and Instagram @kadeybaby. I want to see all your great ideas!


Until next time, xoxo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts