Hearty 10-Veggie Minestrone

This warm, scrumptious soup is a combination of recipes I found from Rachael Ray's "Everyone Is Italian On Sunday" and Martha Stewart's "Cooking School".  Both of these books are phenomenal and have really opened my eyes to different styles of cooking. 

Minestrone (which, by the way, means "big soup" in Italian!) is traditionally prepared with a Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rind and prosciutto ends added into the stock. But, both of the recipes mentioned that it is perfectly acceptable to omit these ingredients in order to prepare a vegan version of this dish.  Since I normally cook with lots of meat, cheese, and fish, I figured I'd keep my vegan friends in mind for this one. Seriously, I didn't miss the meat at all. The combination of beans and hearty stock really fill you up and leave your tummy happy, not to mention it is DELICIOUS! The only cheese I ended up using was on the toasted bread on the side... I couldn't help myself.


Also, this soup is incredibly healthy. I counted 10 vegetables in total: onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bell pepper, eggplant, fennel, green beans, tomatoes, and potatoes!

To start, I made my own vegetable stock. I think this step is essential to creating deep, rich flavor. I highly recommend taking a weekend day to make stock and reserve it for other recipes. However, if you don't have time or just really don't want to make your own, you can always buy store-bought vegetable stock. Just make sure it's really good quality.

To make the stock, I started with my small stock-pile of vegetable peels and scraps that I had saved from previous recipes. Whenever I peel an onion, carrot, etc, I save the parts I don't use in the recipe and freeze them in a zip-top freezer bag. Then, when it's nearly full and I'm ready to make stock, I simply put them in a large pot, cover with water, season with salt, pepper, and a bay leaf. I bring the pot to a boil and then reduce the heat and let simmer for 4 - 5 hours. (If you don't have a stock-pile of veggie scraps, you can simply chop up some onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and use that in it's place. I like to use the scraps because it's a great way to save money!)

Veggie stock simmering away...

Once the stock has been made, simply remove and discard all the solids. Voila! Now, on to the soup.

To your simmering stock (you should have about 4 cups), add two diced carrots...


two diced celery stalks...


 and one diced onion. 


This is your soffrito. Let them cook for about 30 minutes.

Next, add in five cloves minced garlic...


two dried bay leaves...


and salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and a teaspoon or two of dried rosemary. Let this simmer for another 30 minutes. (This is where patience comes in handy!)

Next, add in one bunch of chopped fennel (I LOVE the flavor this adds. Save the tops for garnish later)...


two chopped red potatoes...


one large chopped eggplant...


two handfuls fresh green beans, trimmed...


and one large handful of parsley, chopped.


Season again with a little salt and pepper. Let all these ingredients simmer together for about an hour. Don't forget to save your ends, skins, and scraps in a freezer bag!


About twenty minutes before you're ready to serve, add in one diced green bell pepper, one can of crushed tomatoes, one can of drained cannellini beans, one can of kidney beans, and one head shredded cabbage. You could add in any other type of beans or greens that you like. :)


To serve, top with saved fennel tops. You can also top with shredded parm cheese if you eat dairy. I served mine up with a side of toasty bread topped with multiple melty cheeses...yummm!


Thank you so much for reading. Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy this soup and are having a healthy and happy new year! 

Until next time,
xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts